Pages

Feb 2011: The Last Day

Well, the work is finished. We worked hard today to get the space ready for the dedication service. There were a few challenges but nothing that God couldn't handle. As the children entered the newly renovated space, they were greeted with our smiling faces, cheers, and loud music. They in turn greeted us with hugs, kisses and many "Obrigado". It was quite emotional to see the kids thank us for the work we did all the while we were thanking them for sharing their lives with us. We got a chance to worship with them tonight and were blessed as their worship team played and sang with ours. The words to "God Of This City" truly resonated with our spirits.

As we reflect on the past 10 days, we've each taken away something different. Find out what those things are below as well as some new nicknames we've picked up on this trip: (The guidelines were to write 2-3 sentences each, but with all we've experienced this week, it was difficult for some of us to sum them up using so few words!)

Kevin Robertson (aka Ned Flanders, aka The Peacemaker)- Tonight was full of joy and tears. Joy in that we were able to improve the kids of Hope Unlimited's worship space and thereby enhance their lives, and tears that we will leave after being touched by their love and sincere appreciation. There is nothing to compare with the presence of God as seen through the eyes of the least of these. No matter how much we give to them by way of our physical help and encouragement, we always receive more love and hugs than we can contain. I always consider it a privilege to serve on the PAC mission trips. As Jesus told us, "It is more blessed to give than to receive". However, when you see how these children respond to our smiles and physical presence, you will realize you are on the receiving end.

Susan Robertson (aka The Recruiter, aka The one who has met her OCD match in KRod) - This was my 5th trip to Brazil and each trip is better than the one before. As far as accomplishing the work project we came to bless Hope with, this has been the most productive. God seemed to give me power and strength beyond my natural ability. I came away with a clearer vision ability to accomplish the work He set before us. Each night's sleep was so sound- unlike anything I ever experienced at home. I came away with a clearer vision of what God has for my husband and me concerning our involvement with Hope Unlimited. What a blessing to know and work along side people like Philip and Corienne Smith, Pastor William, Pastor Derli, Clovis, and Kara.

Joel Koenigsberg- (aka Big Jon's cuddle buddy)- God will provide all that I need. I have so much to learn about following Him and living by faith, not by sight. The body of Christ is beautiful. R$8,25 ($5) will mean more to me than before.

Conrad Plimpton- (aka Sao Conhado)- Amazing grace we accomplished so much; for our spiritual journal and our leadership. Amazing grace for our health and energy, continually tested by extreme heat, humidity, and constant work. Amazing grace for our oneness in spirit, helping and holding up each other in action and prayer.

Janet Black- (aka Martha, aka The Patient One, aka the Drill Sergeant)- "God doesn't called the equipped; He equips the called." This phrase was spoken by Pastor Derli during Sunday evening service at the Graduate Church. This statement was without a doubt demonstrated throughout the week. Amazing work was completed, and amazing love was given.

Karen Rodriguez (aka "Muito Boing", aka Still remains the diva)- There's nothing better than rejoicing with those who have just come out of their sorrow, into the morning. It's going to take me a long time to process all of my experiences from this week. I definitely learned that it's not about what we came here to do, but who we came to do it for. Jesus didn't just walk around, performing miracles and then retreating to his home for the night. He was out, with people, all the time. He was building relationships and then meeting the needs of those who needed him. Being a very task-oriented person, I was very excited to come down to Hope Unlimited, get to work and give kids, kids who I didn't even know, a new space for school and worship. Had we not had all the time we did to build relationships with the kids first, get to know their stories and see their hearts, the work would have been more of something I could say I accomplished, something I could check off of my list. But when you know the kids and then hear them thank you profusely for all your hard work, you know whose work you came here to do.

Jonathan Leonard- (aka Conrad the Second, aka Third Jon, aka Big Jon)- Coming down to Hope reminds me of what it truly means to do God's work. From the staff all the way down to the kids, Hope Unlimited is a picture perfect example of how all things are possible when God is at the center of it.

Sandra Smith- (aka Stressed to be the Diva's roommate, aka Still afraid she will get frisked at the airport)- In the busyness of a week in a different country, language, and culture, God has a way of opening you up, stretching you, and giving you times to experience new things. On this trip, God put certain children on my heart. Even though these children are so young and have gone through so much, they show so much love. You can see the transforming work of God in their lives. It makes me want to see this deep transformation in my life and one that others can see and feel from me.

Laura Kelly- (aka The Paparazzi, aka Cage Free)- This trip has shown me how people can be transformed by God's love, provision and grace. Interacting with the children has been an enlightening and enjoyable experience as they have inspired me to be a better person. It is a privilege to be able to give back to others what God has given me.

Jonathan Charles Johnson- (aka The Geek, aka Second Jon, aka JC)- My greatest impression from our trip has been meeting one of the recent graduates and her sister. Both were able to speak English so it was easier to get their story: They came from a home with a father not present, a mother who died from cancer, and the older sister successfully starving herself to death and despairing, wishing to die. God steps in with the feet and hands and heart of Hope Unlimited and rescues these two sisters with their little brother from despair to hope, joy, love, and dreams. The older sister has dreams and hopes for the future and no longer wishes to die. She wants to live, and live for Christ.

John Mathew- (aka First John, aka Brasileiro John) This was my first missions trip. I was told that God changes people through serving in mission trips. I was also told that I would fall in love with the kids that I meet. I had a hard time believing either of these statements. I can honestly say that I've found both statements to be true. In my heart, I see the faces and the smiles of the kids that I met whose life has been transformed by the saving grace of God through people who were willing. I also remember the tears from having to say goodbye. God has blessed me and this team with the privilege of meeting some awesome kids and the staff of Hope Unlimited. I know my life will never be the same. A few of my memorable moments from the trip:
- Sao Conjado's dance 
- Karina's (KRod's) fall at the mall: "Muito Boing" 
- The birthday outings with the kids and their immense appreciation for being able to get $5 to spend 
- Juliana taking lots of pictures with my camera and, then after seeing her picture, asking if she can delete it since she didn't think she looked pretty 
- The joyful face of each child at Hope Unlimited as they were worshipping God - Leading worship with Pastor William and the kids from Hope Unlimited 
- The hugs from each child as they were crying knowing that we won't see each other after today  

Even though we started out as 11 strangers, our focused and common goal for the week created a tremendous bond. We set out to be a blessing but we know that we were blessed far more in return. What an honor it was to be here for ten days and show God's love to kids whose only desire is to be loved. We are coming back to NJ with new eyes and more open hearts to those whose hope is truly unlimited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment